The Royds Lodge No. 1204

Antient Free and Accepted Masons of England

The Royds Lodge Seal

The Royds Lodge seal, designed by W.Bro. R. Woof in conjunction with W.Bro. A. Brown, was approved by the Lodge at its meeting on the 14th July 1870. W Bro. Woof had been Worshipful Master of the Worcester Lodge No. 280 in 1861-62 and was Town Clerk of Worcester. He was a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and wrote extensively.

Composition

The seal, as shown on the left, was designed to incorporate features from the ancient seals of Little and Great Malvern Priories. The triple canopy (A) forms part of a seal of Little Malvern Priory, while St Michael with open wings (B) forms part of a seal of Great Malvern Priory. At the bottom of the seal is a Lancastrian red rose (C), a reference to Albert Hudson Royds' connection with that county and Masonic province.

The Royds Lodge Seal

On the original Great Malvern Priory seal, St Michael bears a crown. However, on The Royds Lodge seal, W.Bro. Woof substituted the crown with the Arms of the Grand Lodge of the Moderns. This is difficult to understand, as the United Grand Lodge of England had been formed in 1813, long before The Royds Lodge seal was designed and approved.

There is no doubt that St Michael is bearing the chevron, with the compasses and the three castles of the Grand Lodge of the Moderns. One theory as to why the Arms of the Grand Lodge of the Moderns features on The Royds Lodge seal suggests that the castles have a connection with the City of Worcester Arms, and thence with the Mother Lodge, the Lodge of Semper Fidelis No. 529. This theory, however, must be considered tenuous.

Past Master's Jewel

The early style of The Royds Lodge Past Master's jewel, as shown on the right, is closely related to the seal. The only changes in design have been the substitution of the chevron by the square (D) and the lower castle by a depiction of Euclid's 47th proposition (E).

The Royds Lodge Banner

The seal is seen at its best on The Royds Lodge banner, which hangs in Malvern Masonic Hall. This banner was embroidered by Miss Gwen Forster for the Lodge centenary, held in 1967.